Jeannette Guarner, MD
Infectious Disease Pathology
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
BS Colegio Oxford, Mexico City, 1973 - 1977
MD Medical School, La Salle School of Medicine, M¿xico City, 1977 - 1983
- Helicobacter pylori infections in children and adults. When I was working at the National Cancer Institute in Mexico, I started studying the acute and chronic effects of Helicobacter pylori infection in adults. Together with Stanford University and a group in Chiapas State in Mexico, we did a case control trial to see if eradiaction of H. pylori decreased the amount of preneoplastic lesions. My interest has expanded to the study of this infection in children and I am currently involved in several projects in this population.
- Emerging and Re-emerging infections Upon arriving at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), I was integrally involved in high-prorfile outbreak investigations of emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases. The CDC pathology team has developed a variety of immunohistochemical and molecular assays to detect these patholgens. Detection of microbial antigens by immunohsitochemical methos in tissues has to be correlated with other laboratory tests. The combination of tissue and laboratory diagnosis of infectious agents is of vital importance to detect these emerging and re-emerging infections so that public health authorities place control and prevention measures.
Honors / Awards:
- Milipub club, 2011
- American Board of Pathology (anatomic and clinical pathology)
- Mexican Board of Anatomic Pathology
Selected/Most Recent Publications:
Published and Accepted Research Articles -
- Hassan HA, Majid RA, Rashid NG, Nuradeen BE, Abdulkarim QH, Hawramy TA, Rashid RM, Farris AB, Guarner J, Hughson MD. Eosinophilic granulomatous gastrointestinal and hepatic abscesses attributable to basidiobolomycosis and fasciolias: a simultaneous emergence in Iraqi Kurdistan. BMC Infectious Diseases 2013, 13:91 [Epub Feb 2013]
- Guarner J. Detection of microorganisms in ganulomas that have been formalin-fixed: Review of the literature regarding use of molecular methods. Scientifica. Vol 2012, Article ID 494571, http://dx.doi.org/10.6064/2012/494571
- Roberts DJ, Wilson ML, Nelson AM, Adesina AM, Fleming KA, Milner D, Guarner J, Rebbeck TR, Castle P, Lucas S. The good news about cancer in developing countries--pathology answers the call. Lancet. 2012;379(9817):712.
- Tarkhashvili N, Chakvetadze N, Mebonia N, Chubinidze M, Bakanidze L, Shengelidze V, Mirtskhulava M, Chachava T, Katsitadze G, Gabunia U, Kordzaia D, Imnadze P, Guarner J, Sobel J. Traditional risk factors for Helicobacter pylori infection not found among patients undergoing diagnostic upper endoscopy-Republic of Georgia, 2007-2008. Int J Infect Dis. 2012;16:e697-702. [Epub 2012 Aug 4]
- RJ Molinaro, AM Winkler, CS Kraft, CR Fantz, SR Stowell, JC Ritchie, DD Koch, S Heron, J Liebzeit, S Santen, J Guarner. Teaching laboratory medicine to medical students: Implementation and assessment of a Medical Student Clinical Laboratory Experience (MSCLE). Arch Pathol Lab Med 2012;136:1423-1429
- S Patel, JB Smith, E Kurbatova, J Guarner. Factors that impact turnaround time of surgical pathology specimens in an academic institution. Hum Pathol 2012;43:1501-5 (Epub 3/8/2012).
- Zane S, Guarner J. Gynecologic Clostridial Toxic Shock in Women of Reproductive Age. Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2011;13:561-70 Epub 9/2/2011.
- Guarner J, Brandt ME. Histopathologic diagnosis of fungal infections in the 21st century. Clin Micro Rev 2011; 24:247-80
- Schuetz A, Guarner J, Packard MM, Zaki SR, Bahig SM, Opreas-Ilies G. Infectious Disease Immunohistochemistry in Placentas from HIV-Positive and HIV-Negative Patients. Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2011;14:180-8.
- J Guarner, CS Kraft. Need for clinicopathologic correlation of Clostridium difficile colitis in view of molecular diagnosis. Clin Infect Dis 2011;54:156.
- Koletzko S, Jones NL, Goodman KJ, Gold B, Rowland M, Cadranel S, Chong S, Colletti RB, Casswall T, Elitsur Y, Guarner J, Kalach N, Madrazo A, Megraud F, Oderda G; on behalf of the H. pylori working groups of ESPGHAN, NASPGHAN. Evidence-based guidelines from ESPGHAN and NASPGHAN for Helicobacter pylori infection in children. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2011;53:230-43.
- Guarner J, Kalach N, Elitsur Y, Koletzko S. Helicobacter pylori diagnostic tests in children: review of the literature from 1999 to 2009. Eur J Pediatr. 2010 Jan;169(1):15-25. Epub Jul 18,2009.
- J Gutman, J Guarner. Pediatric malaria: 8 year case series in Atlanta, Georgia, and review of the literature. J Travel Med 2010;17:334-8.
- WJ Shieh, CD Paddock, E Lederman, CY Rao, LH Gould, M Mohamed, F Mosha, J Mghamba, P Bloland, MK Njenga, D Mutonga, AA Samuel, J Guarner, RF Breiman, SR Zaki. Pathologic studies on suspect animal and human cases of Rift Valley fever from an outbreak in Eastern Africa, 2006-2007. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2010;83:38-42.
- J Guarner, J Hochman, E Kurbatova, R Mullins. Study of outcomes associated with hyponatremia and hypernatremia in children. Pediatr Dev Pathol 2010;14(2):117-23.
Book Chapters -
- Guarner J, del Rio C. Pathology, diagnosis, and treatment of anthrax in humans. In: NH Bergman. Bacillus anthracis and anthrax. Wiley-Blackwell, Inc. Hoboken, NJ. 2011 Chapter13 pages251-268.
- Guarner J. The spectrum of gastric disease associated with Helicobacter pylori and other infectious gastritides. Curr Gastroenterol Rep 2004; 6(6):441-6.
- Unger ER, Guarner J. Infectious diseases. In: Leonard DGB. Diagnostic molecular pathology. WB Saunders Co. Philadelphia, PA, p: 129-141, 2003.
- Nolte KB, Guarner J, Shieh WJ, Zaki SR. Emerging infectious diseases and the forensic pathologist. In: Froede RC, Davis GJ, Prahlow JA, Randall BB, Reay DT, Weedn VW (Eds). Handbook of forensic pathology. College of American Pathologists, Northfield, IL, chapter 36, pages: 345-360, 2003.
- King CH, Ashford DA, Dobos KM, Spotts Whitney EA, Raghunathan PL, Guarner J, Tappero JW. Mycobacterium ulcerans infection and Buruli ulcer disease: emergence of a public health dilemma. In: Scheld WM, Craig WA, Hughes JM. Emerging infections 5. ASM Press, Washington, D.C. P: 137-152; 2001.
- Slutsker L, Guarner J, Griffin P. Escherichia coli O157: H7. In: Nelson A, Horsburgh R. Pathology of Emerging Infections 2. 1st edition. American Society for Microbiology Press. Washington DC, U.S.A. 1998.
Other Publications -
- Guarner J, Duncan A, Nelson AM, Messele T. Laboratory quality control for all, can this be achieved? Am J Clin Pathol 2012;138:639-41.
- Guarner J. Diagnosis of Malaria. Pathol Case Rev 2011;16: 242-245.
- Guarner J, Falcon-Escobedo R. Comparison of the pathology caused by H1N1, H5N1, and H3N2 influenza viruses. Arch Med Res 2010;40:655-661 Epub Jan 2010.
- C Del Rio C, J Guarner. The 2009 influenza A (H1N1) pandemic: What have we learned in the past 6 months. Trans Am Clin Climatol Assoc. 2010;121:128-40.
- Nolte KD, Hanzlick RL, Payne DC, Kroger AT, Oliver WR, Baker AM, Mc Gowan DE, DeJong JL, Bell MR, Guarner J, Shieh WJ, Zaki SR. Medical examiners, coroners, and biologic terrorism: A guidebook for surveillance and case management. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2004;53(Rr-8):1-36.
- Guarner J, Mohar A. The asociation between Helicobacter pylori and gastric neoplasias: epidemiological evidence. Rev Gastroenterol Mex 2000;65: S20-S24. (Spanish)