Carlos Sanchez Moreno, PhD
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
- Associate Professor, Department of Biomedical Informatics
- Member, Winship Cancer Institute
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
B.S. Aeronautics and Astronautics,
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1982 - 1986
M.S. Aeronautics and Astronautics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1986 - 1988
Ph.D. Genetics and Molecular Biology, Emory University, 1992 - 1998
- Translational Cancer Genomics My main research interests are in translational cancer bioinformatics and systems biology, to identify diagnostic markers for more effective and personalized therapies, to identify new potential therapeutic targets, and to better understand the biology of tumor progression. My research has focused on the dissection of the perturbed transcriptional networks in prostate, brain, breast, and ovarian cancers using DNA microarrays and next generation sequencing. My lab has identified several genes that are strongly correlated with prostate cancer progression, including two developmental transcription factors, HOXC6 and SOX4. We are also developing mRNA and microRNA biomarkers of recurrence in prostate cancer. My lab analyzes genome-wide expression profiles, transcriptional networks, ChIP-chip and ChIP-seq studies, biological pathways, and evolutionarily conserved transcription factor binding sites to dissect cancer-related transcriptional networks and identify new drug targets and biomarkers.
- Cancer Biomarkers We are developing new biomarkers for management of prostate cancer
- Cancer Target Discovery and Development We are developing tools for analysis of protein-protein interactions in cancer cells for identification and prioritization of novel drug targets.
Honors / Awards:
- NCI Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities (CRCHD) Mentorship Award, 2017
- John Kauffman Prostate Cancer Research Award, 2015
- DOD CDMRP Prostate Cancer IDEA Development Award, 2010-2012
- NIH 2R01 CA106826 - Developmental Transcription Factors in Prostate Cancer, 2009-2014
- ASIP Cotran Established Investigator Award, 2009
- K22 Career Transition Award, 2002 - 2005
- NIH Minority Supplement for Postdoctoral Training (MIPT), 1998 - 2001
- NRSA F31 Predoctoral Fellowship for Minority Students, 1993 - 1998
Selected/Most Recent Publications:
Published and Accepted Research Articles -
- 2017. McMillan, C Li, V Gonzalez-Pecchi, X Dong, X Mo, S Liu, B Revennaugh, W Zhou, AI Marcus, S Harati, X Chen, MA Johns, M White, CS Moreno, LAD Cooper, Y Du, FR Khuri, H Fu. The OncoPPi Network of Cancer-focused Protein-Protein Interactions to Inform Biological Insights and Therapeutic Strategies. Nature Communications. 8:14356. doi:10.1038/ncomms14356
- 2017. S Harati, LAD Cooper, JD Moran, Y Du, AA Ivanov, MA Johns, FR Khuri, H Fu, CS Moreno, MEDICI: Mining Essentiality Data to Identify Critical Interactions for Cancer Drug Target Discovery and Development, PLoS ONE, 12:e0170339.
- 2017. KL Pellegrini, MG Sanda, D Patil, Q Long, N Erho, M Takhar, K Yousefi, M Santiago-Jimenez, E Davicioni, EA Klein, RB Jenkins, RJ Karnes, CS Moreno, Evaluation of a 24-Gene Signature for Prognosis of Metastatic Events and Prostate Cancer-Specific Mortality, British Journal of Urology. doi: 10.1111/bju.13779.
- 2017. B Bilir, NV Sharma, J Lee, B Hammarstrom, A Svindland, O Kucuk, and CS Moreno, Effects of Genistein Supplementation on Genome-wide DNA Methylation and Gene Expression in Patients with Localized Prostate Cancer, International Journal of Oncology, 51: 223-234.
- 2016. B Bilir, AO Osunkoya, WG Wiles IV, S Sannigrahi, V Lefebvre, D Metzger, DD Spyropoulos, WD Martin, and CS Moreno, SOX4 is essential for prostate tumorigenesis initiated by PTEN ablation. Cancer Research, 2016; 76(5):1112-21.
- 2015. KL Pellegrini, MG Sanda, and CS Moreno, RNA Biomarkers to Facilitate the Identification of Aggressive Prostate Cancer, Molecular Aspects of Medicine. 2015; 45:37-46.
- 2015. F Lian, N Sharma, JD Moran, and CS Moreno, The Biology of Castration Resistant Prostate Cancer, Current Problems in Cancer, 39(1):17-28
- 2014. WG Wiles IV, Z Mou, Y Du, CD Scharer, DD Spyropoulos, N Jenkins, N Copeland, WD Martin, and CS Moreno, Mutation of Murine Sox4 Untranslated Regions Results in Female-specific Embryonic Lethality, In Vivo, 28(5):709-718.
- 2014. Q Long, J Xu, AO Osunkoya, S Sannigrahi, BA Johnson, W Zhou, T Gillespie, JY Park, RK Nam, L Sugar, A Stanimirovic, AK Seth, JA Petros, and CS Moreno, Global transcriptome analysis of formalin-fixed prostate cancer specimens identifies biomarkers of disease recurrence, Cancer Research, 74(12):3228-37.
- 2013. B Bilir, O Kucuk, and CS Moreno, Wnt pathway blockage inhibits cell proliferation and migration, and induces apoptosis in triple-negative breast cancer cells, Journal of Translational Medicine, 11:280.
- 2012. CJ Phillip, CK Giardina, B Bilir, DJ Cutler, YH Lai, O Kucuk and CS Moreno, Genistein Cooperates with the Histone Deacetylase Inhibitor Vorinostat to Induce Cell Death in Prostate Cancer Cells, BMC Cancer, 12:145.
- 2011. A Gordanpour, A Stanimirovic, RK Nam, CS Moreno, C Sherman, L Sugar, and A Seth, miR-221 is Down-regulated in TMPRSS2:ERG Fusion-positive Prostate Cancer, Anticancer Research, 31(2):403-10.
- 2011. L Qi, AC Bellail, MR Rossi, Z Zhang, H Pang, S Hunter, C Cohen, CS Moreno, JJ Olson, S Li, C Hao, Heterogeneity of primary glioblastoma cells in the expression of caspase-8 and the response to TRAIL-induced apoptosis. Apoptosis, August 30, Epub ahead of print.
- 2011. Q Long, BA Johnson, AO Osunkoya, Y-H Lai, W Zhou, M Abramovitz, M Xia, M Bouzyk, R Nam, L Sugar, A Stanimirovic, BR Leyland-Jones, AK Seth, JA Petros, CS Moreno, Protein-coding and MicroRNA Biomarkers of Recurrence of Prostate Cancer Following Radical Prostatectomy, American Journal of Pathology, 179(1):46-54.
- 2011. Y-H Lai, J Cheng, D Cheng, ME Feasel, KD Beste, J Peng, A Nusrat and CS Moreno, SOX4 interacts with Plakoglobin in a Wnt3a-dependent manner in prostate cancer cells BMC Cell Biology, 12:50.
Other Publications -
- 2009. CS Moreno and M Bouzyk, The Emory Biomarker Service Center, Institutional Profile, Biomarkers in Medicine, 3(5): 567-571.